Founded in 1999
Located in the heart of Florence, between the Strozzi palace and Santa Maria Novella, Moretti S.r.l. was opened to the public of great collectors on 26 September 1999 with the inaugural exhibition, Da Bernardo Daddi a Giorgio Vasari. It was from that point that the gallery was recognized for its specialization in gold ground painting, mostly from Tuscany. The gallery is present at the most prestigious art and antiques fairs in Europe and the United States. These fairs include Tefaf - Maastrict, Frieze Masters in London, Biennale dell'Antiquariato in Florence, the Biennale des Antiquaires in Paris. In 2001, the show Pittori attivi in Toscana dal Trecento al Settecento signaled the expansion of the gallery’s specialization to include Italian paintings up to the XVII century.
In 2003, Da Ambrogio Lorenzetti a Sandro Botticelli included in its exhibition the superbly structural and volumetric triptych by Taddeo Gaddi, a close follower of Giotto. Also included was a striking depiction of the Madonna and Child by Ambrogio Lorenzetti, one of the most celebrated and emblematic Sienese painters from the first half of the fourteenth century. The fifteenth century, a great period for Medici and humanistic Florence, is represented a refined work by the young Francesco Botticini. The show was also able to display the diverse milieux of Italian artists with the rare Genoese Giovanni Mazone and a sophisticated Adorazione of the Magi by the Sienese Pietro di Francesco Orioli.
The constant commitment of study and research permitted the September 2005 exhibition: Da Allegretto Nuzi a Pietro Perugino. After a long foreign stay, visitors were able to admire the Saint Catherine of Alexandria by Pietro Vannucci, called Perugino. It is a great picture that, for centuries, was a part of the big altarpieces ever realized. Placed in the center of the Church of the Santissima Annunziata of Florence, it was originally formed out of seven paintings, which are now divided between the Museo dell’Accademia in Florence, the Santissima Annunziata and the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, which will be curating a show in which the altar will be reconstructed with the original paintings.
The catalogue, Dagli eredi di Giotto al primo Cinquecento, was published in October 2007 and includes two works by Lorenzo Monaco, Taddeo Gaddi and Savoldo.
Jacopo di Paolo
Bologna documented from 1371
- Bologna 1426
Saint Margaret of Antioch Imprisoned while the Gorvernor Olibrio Worships and Idol
Tempera on panel
cm 38 x 22
The work is an important testimony to the production of Jacopo di Paolo, characterised by an absolute rarity of a narrative subject displaying an episode from the life of a legendary virgin, a pendant of the Martyrdom of Saint Margaret, from the collectio
Colle di Val d’Elsa 1370
- Florence 1440
Madonna and Child with Angels and Saints
Tempera on panel
cm 82 x 58
The panel, survived in excellent conservational condition, represents a precious and rare addition to the oeuvre of this Tuscan artist, whose attributes have been outlined by Boskovits.