Viviano Codazzi - Filippo Lauri
Bergamo, 1604 - Rome, 1623
- Rome, 1604 - Rome, 1694
The Bernini Arsenal at Civitavecchia
Oil on canvas
118 x 173 cm
Provenance: Rome, Private Collection. The painting was commissioned by a member of the Chigi Family to celebrate the new Arsenal of Civitavecchia built by Gianlorenzo Bernini between 1660-1663 under direct patronage of Pope Alexander VII Chigi. The Arsenal was destroyed in 1944 during the Second World War. Literature: D. R. Marshall, Viviano e Niccolò Codazzi and the Baroque Architectural Fantasy, Milan-Rome 1993, VC 193, pp. 326-329.
VIVIANO CODAZZI, FILIPPO LAURI
THE BERNINI ARSENALE OF CIVITAVECCHIA
Filippo Tagliolini, Real Fabbrica della Porcellana di Napoli
Fogliano di Cascia, 1745
- Naples, 1809
Bust of Berenice
Biscuit, 31.5 (h) x 24 x 21 cm. With the base: 48 (h) cm.
Napoli, 1781-1800 circa
The biscuit is taken from the 1st century AD bronze bust of Berenice (or Artemis) found in Portici in April 1756, buried there by the eruption of Vesuvius in 79 AD. The bronze is now held by the Museo Archeologico di Napoli.
Louis Jean Desprez
- Stoccolma, 1804
King Gustav III of Sweden Witnesses the Ceremony of the Annunciation in San Luigi dei Francesi Conducted by Pope Pius VI
Drawing, ink and wash on paper
457 x 864 mm
Provenance: Auction of Gottfried Schaper's (1775–1851) estate in 1853, no. 58 (as Desprez); purchased at that auction by Benjamin Wolff (1790–1866) (Lugt 420); thereafter by descent. Exhibition: Tegnekunst på Nivaagaard Ældre europaæiske tegningerfra Benjamin Wolffs samling (The Nivaagaard Collection), Niva 1983, no. 34, pl. 34.